Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Marzipan Cherry Tart, World War II and Mountain Goats








In the late 1970’s when I was a small girl and my little world was perfect I would spend a few days on holiday with my grandparents - Oma & Opa.
Every year in August they would spend two weeks in a small village in the mountains partly sponsored by the Austrian government for men who served and were injured in the 2nd World War.







My granddad was shot outside Russia when he was just 17 years old.
He was lying in a ditch for several days trying to get the attention of retreating troops until finally a truck stopped and picked him up. His injury affected the way he walked for ever but mentally he suffered a great deal more. At night his nightmares haunted him. I remember my Oma taking him out of the bedroom and making him a drink so he would calm down. She thought I was a sleep but I will never forget the way he looked… so frightened.
Never the less my Opa was a happy and very funny man who liked a drink and played music all day every day….  
Anyway, back to the holidays, we would go to visit them and I was always allowed to stay for a few days. The place they went to was called Fraxern in Austria and it was and still is famous for its cherries.
 




 
Cherry trees were everywhere. Breakfast was served with cherry jam, we would go for walks in the afternoon eating cherries of the trees and our evenings were spent sitting on the balcony eating cherries.
Our evenings were the best!
Warm summer breeze, wearing my PJ’s, eating cherries, spitting stones to see who got them the furthest and watching mountain goats with binoculars jumping from mountain peak to mountain peak.
 
 
 
My granddad died when I was just 6 but to this day, I have never forgotten my holidays and whenever I eat cherries I think of them both, eating cherries, spitting stones and the mountain goats.

 
Cherry Marzipan Tart



For the Pastry

175 g flour
3 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
125 g cold butter
1 egg






For the Filling

200 g marzipan
gratedzest of 1/2 lemon
 300 g pitted sour cherries

3 large eggs
250 g sour cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
30 g sliced almonds

To make the pasty place flour, sugar, salt and butter into a bowl and using your fingers “rub” the ingredients into crumbs. If you have a food processor this will be easiest.
Add egg and combine all into a pastry ball.
Roll out the dough as much as you can and line a 25cm (10inch) pie form. Use your fingers to press the dough into shape. Leave in the fridge to rest for 20 minutes then blind bake at 200C for 15 minutes.
Great the marzipan and spread onto the base followed by the lemon zest. Then scatter the cherries on top. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, sugar, egg and vanilla. Drizzle this over the pie and top with almonds.
 
Bake at 200C for 25-30 minutes.





Leave to cool and dust with icing sugar....
 



This post is linked up with various link parties please take a look at my "I link up to" page and join in!








 

2 comments:

  1. I saw your link for this Marzipan Cherry Tart over at Miz Helen's Country Cottage. Reading your stories about your grandparents and your childhood was so interesting. I'm glad that you wrote these things here so that others could read them. My father fought in the Korean War and had nightmares, too...Anyway, the tart looks amazing. I am looking forward to making it soon. The markets and road-side stands have some beautiful fresh cherries right now. Your recipe is perfect for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hi...how nice to hear from you! Any comments are highly valued! If you leave your blog address I would love to see what you are creating....