Monday, 1 July 2013

Greek Chicken Gyros & Tzatziki Sauce

Not only does this recipe remind me of holidays abroad, sand, sea and sunshine.... it is a good healthy option as you can stuff it with as much salad as you wish.

The chicken can be substituted with quorn chicken pieces and the Tzatziki Sauce is great at a BBQ or on potatoes.











Chicken Marinade

½ cup yogurt
2tbsp honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
2tsp lemon juice
zest of ½ lemon
1tsp dried oregano
1/2tsp ground cumin
pepper
pinch of salt
4 chicken breasts

To make the chicken marinade, place all ingredients into a zip lock bag and combine. Half the chicken breasts and add to the zip lock bag. Shake to distribute the marinade and place in the fridge for 2-4 hours.



Remove chicken from bag and grill on “fry” the chicken on a griddle pan until cooked all the way through. Remove, let rest for a few minutes and then cut into slices.

 












Tzatziki Sauce

1 Cucumber
250g Greek Style Yogurt
1-2tsp Olive oil
Crushed Garlic
Mint Leaves
Dill
Lemon Juice
Salt
 

 

Try to make this sauce shortly before you intend to serve it as it becomes watery if it is kept for too long.

Peel the cucumber and quarter, remove seeds and grate the cucumber into a colder. Sprinkle with a little salt combine and leave for 15 minutes for the cucumber to release some of its water. Pat dry using some kitchen towel, place in a bowl and stir in a little olive oil before adding the yogurt.

Add all other ingredients to taste. This is really up to you how strong you want the garlic, mint and dill to come through. I start with a little, say 2 garlic cloves and a few leaves of mint, taste and decide from there.




To serve

4 pitta breads
chopped tomatoes (optional)
chopped olives (optional)
chopped red onions (optional)
thinly sliced cucumber

Heat pitta bread for a minute each side. Cut a length wise opening and fill with sauce, chicken and salad.


 









This post is linked up with various link parties please take a look at my "I link up to" page and join in!


 



homework

9 comments:

  1. I love chicken gyros! We would love to have you share it at our weekly link http://www.theprincessandhercowboys.com/2013/07/on-display-monday-8.html Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I love chicken gyros!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so, so good! This is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a double feature this week. I featured this one too on homework!
    Thanks so much for sharing it on The Inspiration Board. Have a great weekend!

    carolyn
    homework &
    DETAILS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elisa, thanks for this saucy goodness. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw your link on Foodie Friday. What a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend. My post is #88.

    http://freshjuniper.blogspot.com

    Reecea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you move in and cook for me. :D LOL this looks amazing. I love Greek food. Thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elisa,
    I just love your Gyro and can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I am co-hosting this week on the My Favorite Posts Showoff Weekend Blog Party. Thanks for connecting up!

    I host a (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop and a TGIF Link Party over at my place -- A Peek Into My Paradise... http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/ I would love for you to link up and follow (if you don't already) if you like what you see. =) I follow back - I love making new friends!

    Have a terrific week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Hi...how nice to hear from you! Any comments are highly valued! If you leave your blog address I would love to see what you are creating....