Monday, 3 December 2012

Easy Clay Recipes and Christmas Ornaments

This year I have decided to make some little ornaments to go with my gifts from the kitchen. It is so easy to make any of these clays and it is so much cheaper then buying some clay at the shop. They shapes can be painted and sealed if desired but I quite like them natural with some fancy ribbon.
 
 
 
 


 
I made the clay and used ordinary biscuit cutters to cut out the Christmas shapes that I wanted. To imprint and decorate the shapes I used anything I could find around the house. Leia had some beads and we found Christmas confetti works really well....

This is also a great project  to make with kids...(not just at Christmas)
 
 

 Salt Clay Recipe

2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water
food colouring (optional)

Mix the clay ingredients together. Store the modelling clay in the refrigerator in a sealed plastic bag or in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.


 Modelling Clay Recipe using
Cornstarch and Baking Soda

1 cup cornstarch
2 cups baking soda
1-1/2 cups cold water
food colouring (optional)

Mix and heat the ingredients together over low heat until a dough is formed. Cover the clay with a damp cloth and allow it to cool before use. Let dry in a very low oven for 1 hour.


Sculptures Modelling Clay Recipe

This clay recipe can be used to make ornaments, jewelry, or other hardened sculptures. Pieces may be painted and sealed, if desired.

4 cups flour
1 cup of salt
1-1/2 cups water
 
Work the ingredients together to form the clay. Bake the finished pieces on a non-stick cookie sheet at 175C/350F for approximately one hour or until they are slightly brown around the edges. Cool the baked clay items on a wire rack before using them or painting them.













This post is linked up with various link parties please take a look at my "I link up to" page and join in!






 
 

toastie studio
 
 


Button pic 9



sshbutton

14 comments:

  1. This is a perfect embellishment for home-baked holiday gifts!

    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original link party is open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them........but which recipe did you use? I am a little confused, did you bake them in the oven? andi the wednesday baker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your comment..I am sorry if I've confused you...you kind of get the same results with all three recipes. The ones in the picture are made from salt clay. Yes, you "dry" them in the oven at low temperature (175C or 350F) for an hour. Hope this makes more sense and you give them a go!!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, Sugar Bee Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are really beautiful. I love simple white decor. Plus, my kids would love this project too! Thanks so much for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
    Steph
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wauw, they are really beautiful, i think my daughter will love them too! Thanks for sharing!

    Miriam (Holland)
    www.tbezigebijtje.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ornaments turned out great. The plaid ribbons give them an old fashioned, country appeal which I love! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing!!!! Love the idea, love your blog too! I'm Hanna, love making some new friends. I', your newest follower:) You can find me at http://www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com/2012/12/red-and-white-christmas-pin-wheels.html

    Happy Holidays

    xoxoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. So simple yet so beautiful! Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up to my party! I wanted to let you know I picked your link to feature this week! See my post and grab my feature button here http://toastiestudio.blogspot.nl/2012/12/create-and-inspire-49-picks.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those are so cool! I love how easy it is to customize them with shapes and stamps etc. Fun! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ornaments are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity at Mom On Timeout. Hope to see you back tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so sweet...thanks for linking up, I hope to see you again today!
    Kim~madeinaday

    ReplyDelete

Hi...how nice to hear from you! Any comments are highly valued! If you leave your blog address I would love to see what you are creating....