.

.
.

Thursday, 8 November 2012

Blue Butterfly Butter Buns




 
These little cupcakes are just a delight to serve to adults and kids.
 
I am using my favourite buttermilk sponge and meringue buttercream mixture to fill the cupcakes. By the way this Meringue Buttercream is the best for covering cupcakes and holds its shape really well!
 
Topped with a little sugarpaste butterfly, silver balls and a little blue glitter makes them a little extra special... They look great in pink too!!
 

Buttermilk Sponge

175g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
225g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
125 ml buttermilk
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
    Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well between each addition.
    Add the vanilla
     
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
    Add to the mixture in alternate batches with the buttermilk.
     
  3. Mix until smooth, then divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cases, filling them two-thirds full.
  4. Bake on the middle shelf for about 20 minutes, or until golden, well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
  5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
 
 
 

Meringue Buttercream

200g caster sugar
3 egg whites
250g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Put the sugar and egg whites in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
    Whisk until it reaches at least 60°C (140°F) on a sugar thermometer.
     
  2. Pour into the bowl and beat for about 3 minutes until the mixture has doubled in volume, has cooled and will stand in peaks.
  3. Gradually add the butter to the cooled meringue mix, beating constantly, until the frosting is smooth. Fold in the vanilla and use immediately.
 
 
 

To Decorate

Sugarpaste
Silver sugar balls




Blue Edible Glitter

Blue Foil Cases
 
  1. Using a small pointed knife cut a circle out of the cake leaving a cavity in the centre. Cut the round in half and set aside.
  2. Now fill the centre of each cake with the buttercream.
  3. Place the cupcake in a foil case and top with the buttercream add the two halves of sponge cake on top like a butterfly.
  4. Roll out a small piece of sugarpaste on a board covered with icing sugar to prevent sticking.
  5. With a butterfly cookie cutter cut out a butterfly and carefully lay it on the two  sponge pieces. Decorate with silver sugar balls and sprinkle with edible glitter. Beautiful!!
 
 
 


This post is linked up with various link parties please take a look at my "I link up to" page and join in!












Serenity you





13 comments :

  1. These are so nice!Congratulations for making these lovelies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you on the {nifty thrifty things} sunday post, you can find me there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are precious. I absolutely love them. When I make my meringue buttercream I don't bring it to 140 but I used pasteurized eggs, I wonder what the difference is, or if your way is safer? Anyways, they look wonderful, I know some kiddo's that would go crazy for them. I think this is your first time linking up and I am so glad you are here! I hope to see you again next week. Thanks for sharing on Super Sweet Saturday.
    Steph
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph, thanks so much for your comment... I have never used pasteurized eggs before, I dont think its a commen thing here in the UK... I tend to buy the eggs the day before from a farm so I know they are fresh and the Butter cream really is easy to make and great to work with....the muffins never make it past a couple of days so there is no chance of them being past their sell by date...

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful and they look too good to eat. Love anything cooked with buttermilk. I appreciate you sharing on "I Gotta Try That Monday"
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cool looking! I love buttermilk and those sound absolutely delicious. :-)

    Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try making the meringue buttercream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so cute! I must try them in the spring time...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are sooo pretty.. I would almost feel bad eating them.. but um, I would definitely EAT them!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink hippo Party!
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty -- party perfect! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are super cute! Love the details. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! My daughters would love these!

    Thank you for linking up with the Clever Chicks this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi...how nice to hear from you! Any comments are highly valued! If you leave your blog address I would love to see what you are creating....